I work in obesity medicine. As many of us know, losing weight isn’t the problem for most, but weight regain is.
- Keeping weight off is a different stage of the weight loss journey.
- Reminder that losing 3-5% total body weight can improve health outcomes.
- 5-7% weight loss was shown in the DPP to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
- From the beginning, let patients know there are stages to losing weight. First is to lose, then it’s to keep off the weight lost. Make a plan for both.
- Regarding weight loss, put more emphasis on the food side.
- Regarding weight maintenance, put more emphasis on exercise.
- Remind patient of discussion and encourage patient to embrace the weight loss they have been able to achieve and keep off.
If you have a “Diabetes Disaster Averted” story, please let us know! If we feature your Disaster Averted in our Diabetes Clinical Mastery Series e-newsletter, you will receive a $25 gift card. Please click here to submit a short summary of the incident, what you feel you learned from handling the incident, and your name and title. If you prefer to remain anonymous, please let us know, but still give us your name and address (so we can send you the gift card).
Copyright © 2016 HIPER, LLC