Dr. Stanley Schwartz talks about his groundbreaking presentation at the 2014 ADA in which he outlined a new approach to classifying diabetes based on the health of the patient’s beta-cells. He explains in detail here how the current system of classification is full of contradictions and overlap between different types of diabetes and that a new system, with a more logical approach, is necessary for a better treatment approach. You can also view Dr. Schwartz’s ADA 2014 slides presentation here for a visual breakdown of these ideas.
More videos in this series with Dr. Schwartz
- Stanley Schwartz, MD, FACP, FACE: Introduction, ADA 2014
- A New Way of Classifying Diabetes – The Beta-Cell Centric Approach
- Picking the Right Drugs for the Right Patients
- Positive Effects of More Aggressive Treatment
- Why Sulfonylureas Should No Longer Be Used
- How Do You Determine Beta Cell Function?
- Prescribing Medications for Prediabetes
- Next Steps for a “Beta-Cell-Centric” Approach