Kim et al evaluated ferritin’s effects on insulin resistance in humans. T2DM subjects were compared with normal glucose tolerance subjects. Higher protein oxidative damage was assessed by detecting nitrotyrosine in T2DM patients, and elevated ferritin was associated with T2DM. Researchers concluded that altered iron metabolism and iron accumulation in skeletal muscle correlated with insulin resistance in T2DM.
Brangani et al investigated the interaction between uric acid and beta cell function in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics. Uric acid was positively correlated with both insulin secretion and beta cell function. Uricaemia was inversely correlated to HbA1c and glucose levels. The researchers found that serum uric acid concentration has a strong positive correlation with beta cell function, however it has still not been evaluated whether or not uric acid improves beta cell function.
Zbed3 is a secreted protein associated with T2DM. Ren et al discovered that Zbed3 levels were significantly higher in patients with impaired glucose tolerance and T2DM. Zbed3 correlates positively with BMI, fat percentage, blood pressure, glucose, HbA1c, and inversely with HDL. There is a concentration dependent effect of glucose on Zbed3 release, and conversely, insulin exhibited an inhibitory effect on Zbed3 levels.
- Increased ferritin in skeletal muscles is associated within insulin resistance.
- Serum uric acid concentration has a strong positive correlation with beta cell function.
- Zbed3 is associated with insulin resistance.
EASD Barcelona, September 27 2013
- T. Kim, E. Ha, SY Ahn, M. Lee, J. Jeon, S. Han. Elevated ferritin in skeletal muscle and insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- C. Brangani, L. Boselli, M. Dauriz, R.C. Bonadonna, E. Bonora, M. Trombetta. Uric acid is a biomarker of beta cell function in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.
- Y. Ren, L. Li, G. Yang. ZEBD3 is associated with obesity and insulin resistance in humans.